“I invented my own job.”
- Experiment with social media
- BBC Radio 1 is now a youth brand
- Meet the audience where they are
- Create variations/ different flavours of shows
- Break the mold e.g:
- Style of interview that hadn’t been done before; A very candid and laid back interview.
- Everyone is going to have an opinion you always have to be prepared for that
- Being a producer is about creating amazing things by harnessing talent of others
Creatives – Problems come when managers create and creatives manage, but we are all both.
Talent – find common ground and a common goal
The BBC – hard to break into, hard to progress, totally unique.
“My advice to you…”
- Not what you know, or who you know… it’s what you do that really matters
- Don’t talk about it. DO IT
- Work at the highest level possible, then build on that
- Be prepared to be flexible and for your goals to change
- Find how you can network – it’s important
- Working in media is about people & content
- Be indispensable
- Be nice on the way up in your career ( don’t be a knob)
- Give them what they want
- Crowded ladder (don’t step on people’s heads)
- Smile – be positive, nothing is achieved with a frown
- Don’t be in awe of anyone, especially yourself.
- Look for niches
- Welcome new tech – enjoy & embrace new tech
- give yourself permission – know when to stop asking for permission & just do it.
- communicate, self PR
- On YouTube, people or watch or don’t, but the numbers are self explanatory